Friday, November 20, 2015

Volleyball :)

I started dancing in 5th grade and right away was in love with it but after a couple of years I started to loose interest in it. It became boring for me so I decided I would find a new sport. Volleyball tryouts were coming up in a bit for a club named elevate, so I thought I might as well tryout. When I got to tryouts I was really nervous. It being my first time to ever play I obviously sucked at it but somehow I made it on. I played with that club going to tournaments and different places with my team. We won no games and I am not saying this as an exaggeration... we actually did not win a single game. So in that first season of playing I liked the sport regardless of how little I learned in those three months and how often we lost so I wanted to keep playing.
During the summer I played beach volleyball for a month. It was okay but I didn't like it as much. After that, I went to summer camp then came back and went to another camp for volleyball. This camp was at BYU. I went there for four days meeting new people and playing volleyball all day. At this camp everyday we woke up, ate breakfast, went to practice, ate lunch, went to practice, ate dinner, played in a tournament, and lastly went to sleep. Except for one afternoon where we went to Seven Peaks. It was a lot of volleyball and I had a blast and ended up liking it even more than I did before. I also ended up learning more than I did in those three months I played club volleyball.

Me and my friends at Seven Peaks
A week later I tried out for the high school volleyball team and I made it on. Everyday after school for the first quarter of the school year, I would go to practice for three hours and I loved it. I loved all of my coaches and loved how much they taught me. They taught me how to play volleyball and also how to be a better player. One thing the taught me was commitment. They taught me what the steps are too fully commit to something which leads to improvement. They also taught me how to be mentally tough by getting rid of panic and thinking of positivity. We finished sixth nationally but its not about winning its about improving and putting out your best effort.
My high school volleyball team and coach
At this point in volleyball I fell in love with the sport and playing it made me happy. After the season was over I was a little unsettled because I knew that even though I went to school with all of the girls I played with, I wouldn't be as close with them and wouldn't see them everyday at practice anymore. They became my close friends.

Two weeks later I tried out for a club named Club V. At tryouts everyone was super good and I thought I wasn't going to make it on to a team but turns out I did. I made it on to a team with three other girls for park city and I'm pumped to being playing with them. The season hasn't started yet but I am super exited for it. My whole volleyball experience has taught me that if you work hard enough at something you can achieve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment