Saturday, November 21, 2015

I Hate Phones

I sit here staring at the blinking line on my computer screen with a blank mind and a blank page. Pure and white with no text written down. Nothing going through my brain and no ideas. Watching the time tick away. Then eventually, I become bored so I reach over about two inches and pick up my phone. Its a natural instinct. I go on Twitter, Instagram, Phhhoto, Vine, and Snapchat and I scroll through every new post and jump from app to app. It's not even fun but for some reason that's my main way of passing time. Eventually, I look at the clock and a couple of hours have passed then I realize how much time I have wasted and hate myself for it. But for some reason that's the pattern that I go through daily, forgetting what I had just learned the day prior. This post isn't about social media and how screwed up society is, It's about how we have become so dependent on our phones. I hate it. Everyday I come home from school with loads of homework and a bunch of studying to do but whenever I walk through the door at 3:00 pm, I end up just sit in my kitchen staring at a screen. I do it for hours on end and don't get any of the important stuff done. It's like an addictive drug that everyone is hooked on. Nowadays, relationships consist of only texting each other and never actually talking to each other. But they don't realize the person they are texting could be totally different from them in real life. Although, they wouldn't know that because they never actually talk to them.

Relationships (image from gif wave)
It's kind of ironic actually, I was on Instagram the other day and I was laughing at a post I saw. The post was of someone who was too busy on their phone they missed to see something really cool that was right infront of them. But in reality I am just laughing at myself because I am doing the exact same thing while looking at the post. I look around at parties and see everyone sitting on their phone and no one is talking to each other and think about what a shame it is. But I guess I can't talk because I do that as well. It's like our whole lives are held within our phone. They make us blind to the real world and less active and social. So what would happen if we didn't have it? Would people not know how to pass time? Would people finally communicate to each other by actually talking? And all these things just makes we wonder what the future is going to be like. Technology is going to advance and it may be for the better but it also could be for the worse. If we are tremendously addicted to our phones now, it's just going to get worse. As a result people are way too dependent on their phones. The need to put them down and have a real conversation.

PS. Shoutout to Martina Nedakovic for being the inspiration of this post by her social media post :))
PPS. While writing this post I subconsciously went on my phone 9 times (I counted).

No comments:

Post a Comment